Lagos is a town located in the western Algarve region of southern Portugal, known for its beautiful beaches, historic attractions, and charming town centre. It is a popular tourist destination, particularly during the summer months.
One of the main attractions of Lagos is its beaches, which are among the most beautiful in the Algarve. Praia Dona Ana, for example, is a stunning cove with clear waters and towering cliffs, while Meia Praia is a long stretch of golden sand that is perfect for swimming, sunbathing, and water sports.
Lagos is also home to several historic attractions, including the Lagos Castle, which dates back to the 14th century, and the 17th-century Forte da Ponta da Bandeira. The town’s historic centre, with its narrow cobbled streets and traditional Portuguese architecture, is also worth exploring, particularly around the main square, Praça Infante Dom Henrique.
In addition to its beaches and historic attractions, Lagos has a variety of other activities and entertainment options. The town has several bars, restaurants, and shops, particularly along the seafront, making it a popular destination for nightlife and dining. There are also several water sports available in Lagos, including surfing, kayaking, and stand-up paddleboarding.
Overall, Lagos is a beautiful and charming town that offers a mix of beach, culture, and entertainment, making it a great place to visit for families, couples, and solo travellers alike.
What to see in Lagos
- Lagos is a beautiful coastal town in the western Algarve region of Portugal, with a rich history and plenty of things to see and do. Here are some of the top sights to visit in Lagos:
- Ponta da Piedade – A stunningly beautiful natural area with towering cliffs, sea caves, and rock formations.
- Lagos Old Town – A charming historic district with cobblestone streets, colourful buildings, and plenty of cafes, restaurants, and shops.
- Lagos Castle and Walls – A 17th-century castle and fortress that has been restored and converted into a museum.
- Praia do Camilo – A picturesque beach with crystal-clear water, golden sand, and a staircase leading down to the shore.
- Igreja de Santo Antonio – A Baroque-style church with a stunning interior featuring gold leaf accents and intricate carvings.
- Lagos Marina – A modern marina that offers a variety of boat tours, water sports, and dining options.
- Lagos Zoo – A small but well-maintained zoo that is home to a variety of animals, including monkeys, birds, and reptiles.
- Museu Municipal Dr. Jose Formosinho – A museum with a wide range of exhibits on the history and culture of Lagos, including archaeological artefacts and traditional crafts.
Overall, Lagos offers a great combination of natural beauty, historic charm, and modern amenities, making it a popular destination for tourists in the Algarve.
Where to eat
Lagos is a charming coastal town in the Algarve region of Portugal, known for its beautiful beaches, historic sites, and delicious cuisine. Here are some of the top places to eat in Lagos:
- Restaurante O Camilo – A family-run restaurant with a beautiful terrace overlooking the sea, serving fresh seafood and traditional Portuguese dishes.
- Casa do Pintor – A cosy and charming restaurant in the heart of Lagos’ old town, with a focus on regional ingredients and creative cuisine.
- O Mercado – A lively and bustling market-style restaurant serving a variety of local dishes, including fresh seafood, grilled meats, and traditional stews.
- Don Toro – A steakhouse and tapas bar with a cosy and inviting atmosphere, serving a variety of grilled meats, fresh salads, and other delicious small plates.
- The Green Room – A vegetarian and vegan restaurant with a focus on healthy and sustainable cuisine, using fresh and local ingredients to create innovative and flavorful dishes.
- Adega da Marina – A classic Portuguese restaurant located in Lagos Marina, serving fresh seafood and traditional meat dishes, accompanied by a great selection of local wines.
- Dom Sebastião – A small and cozy restaurant with a lovely garden terrace, serving traditional Portuguese cuisine and featuring live Fado music on some evenings.
Overall, Lagos has plenty of great dining options, from classic Portuguese seafood restaurants to modern vegetarian cuisine, all with a focus on fresh and local ingredients.
Where to stay in Lagos
Lagos is a popular coastal town in the Algarve region of Portugal, with a range of accommodation options to suit different preferences and budgets. Here are some top places to stay in Lagos:
- Tivoli Lagos – A 4-star hotel located in the heart of Lagos, with a range of room types, including suites and apartments, all with access to an outdoor pool, tennis court, and fitness centre.
- Cascade Wellness Resort – A luxury 5-star resort with a variety of room types, including suites and villas, all with access to a private beach, outdoor pool, spa, and golf course.
- Villa Doris Suites – A boutique-style hotel located in the historic centre of Lagos, with spacious suites and a rooftop terrace with views over the town and the sea.
- Carvi Beach Hotel – A budget-friendly 3-star hotel located directly on the Praia Dona Ana beach, with simple and comfortable rooms and a large terrace with panoramic views.
- Solar de Mós – A charming and elegant guesthouse located in a quiet residential area, with spacious rooms and a beautiful garden and pool.
- Marina Club Lagos Resort – A modern apartment-style hotel located in the Lagos Marina, with a range of room types, all with access to an indoor pool, spa, and fitness centre.
Overall, Lagos has a range of accommodation options, from budget-friendly guesthouses to luxury resorts, all with easy access to the town’s beautiful beaches and historic sites.
Tours from Lagos
Lagos is a charming coastal town in the Algarve region of Portugal, with a range of tours and activities to explore the town’s beautiful beaches, historic sites, and natural landscapes. Here are some top tours from Lagos:
- Dolphin watching – Take a boat tour from Lagos Marina to observe dolphins and other marine life in their natural habitat.
- Kayak tour – Explore the stunning coastline of Lagos by kayak, with the opportunity to see hidden caves and secluded beaches.
- Benagil cave tour – Take a boat tour from Lagos to visit the famous Benagil sea cave, one of the most iconic natural landmarks in the Algarve.
- Walking tour – Discover the history and culture of Lagos on a guided walking tour, visiting the town’s historic sites and landmarks.
- Surf lessons – Take a surf lesson on one of Lagos’ beautiful beaches, with experienced instructors to help you catch your first wave.
- Jeep safari – Explore the natural landscapes of the Algarve on a jeep safari tour, with the opportunity to see the region’s flora, fauna, and hidden valleys.
- Wine tour – Visit some of the local wineries and taste the region’s best wines, accompanied by expert guides who can provide insights into the local winemaking traditions.
Overall, Lagos has a range of tours and activities to suit different preferences and interests, all with the opportunity to explore the region’s beautiful scenery and rich cultural heritage.
Lagos offers a range of shopping options, from traditional markets and local crafts to high-end boutiques and international brands. Here are some top places to shop in Lagos:
- Mercado Municipal – Located in the historic centre of Lagos, this is the town’s main market, selling a variety of fresh fruits, vegetables, and seafood, as well as local handicrafts and souvenirs.
- Avenida dos Descobrimentos – This is the main shopping street in Lagos, with a range of shops, boutiques, and cafes. Here you can find a mix of local and international brands, as well as souvenir shops.
- Marina de Lagos – This is a popular area for shopping and dining, with a range of shops selling clothing, jewellery, and souvenirs, as well as restaurants and cafes with views over the marina.
- Centro Comercial Continente – This is a large shopping centre located just outside of Lagos, with a range of stores selling clothing, electronics, and groceries.
- Artisan markets – Lagos has several artisan markets, including the Mercado de Escravos and the Lagos Handicraft Market, where you can find locally made crafts and souvenirs, such as pottery, leather goods, and jewellery.
Overall, Lagos offers a range of shopping options to suit different preferences and budgets, with a mix of traditional markets and modern shopping centres.
Weather in Lagos
Lagos has a Mediterranean climate, with warm summers and mild winters. The average temperature in the summer months (June to August) is around 25-28°C (77-82°F), with occasional heatwaves that can bring temperatures above 30°C (86°F). The sea temperature during the summer months ranges between 19-23°C (66-73°F).
In the winter months (December to February), the average temperature ranges between 12-16°C (54-61°F), with occasional cooler temperatures and rainfall. However, Lagos is generally less affected by cold weather and storms than other parts of Europe during the winter months.
Spring and autumn are also pleasant times to visit Lagos, with temperatures ranging between 18-22°C (64-72°F) and fewer crowds than during the peak summer season. Overall, the weather in Lagos is pleasant throughout most of the year, with the summer months being the most popular time to visit due to the warm temperatures and sunny days.
Holidays with kids
Lagos is a great destination for a family vacation, with a range of activities and attractions that are fun for both kids and adults. Here are some top things to do in Lagos with kids:
- Praia do Camilo – This is a beautiful beach with crystal-clear waters and a small cove that is great for kids to explore.
- Lagos Zoo – This is a small but well-maintained zoo that is home to a range of animals, including monkeys, tigers, and crocodiles.
- Slide & Splash Water Park – This is a popular water park located just outside of Lagos, with a range of water slides, wave pools, and other attractions that are fun for the whole family.
- Boat trips – Lagos is surrounded by beautiful coastlines and islands that can be explored on a boat trip, which often includes swimming, snorkeling, and dolphin watching.
- Lagos Science Center – This is an interactive science museum that is great for kids to learn and play.
- Dolphin watching – Lagos is one of the best places in Portugal to see dolphins in their natural habitat, with several boat companies offering dolphin-watching tours.
- Lagos Adventure Park – This is a park that offers a range of outdoor activities, such as zip-lining, rope courses, and archery.
- Lagos Skate Park – This is a skate park that is popular with kids and teenagers who enjoy skateboarding, rollerblading and BMX biking.
Lagos has a range of fun and exciting activities that are suitable for kids of all ages, making it a great destination for a family vacation.
How to get to Lagos
Lagos is located in the western Algarve region of Portugal and is easily accessible by various means of transportation. Here are some ways to get to Lagos:
- By car – Lagos is easily accessible by car from both the north and south of Portugal. The A22 motorway connects Lagos to the rest of the Algarve and Portugal’s main highway network.
- By train – Lagos has a train station with connections to major cities in Portugal, including Lisbon and Porto. The train journey from Lisbon to Lagos takes around 3 hours and 30 minutes.
- By bus – There are frequent bus services that connect Lagos with other cities and towns in the Algarve and Portugal, including Lisbon and Porto. The bus journey from Lisbon to Lagos takes around 4 hours.
- By plane – The nearest airport to Lagos is Faro Airport, which is located around 80 km (50 miles) away. There are regular flights to Faro from major cities in Europe, and from there, you can take a bus, train or hire a car to get to Lagos.
- By taxi or private transfer – Taxis and private transfer services are available from Faro Airport to Lagos and are a convenient option if you have a lot of luggage or are travelling with a group.
Once you arrive in Lagos, you can easily explore the town on foot or by public transport, as the town centre is compact and easy to navigate.