Nazare is a coastal town located in central Portugal, known for its stunning beaches, traditional fishing culture, and impressive waves. It is a popular destination for tourists, particularly those interested in water sports and natural beauty.
One of the main attractions of Nazare is its beautiful beaches, such as Praia da Nazare and Praia do Norte, which offer great opportunities for surfing, swimming, and sunbathing. Praia do Norte is particularly famous for its massive waves, which can reach heights of up to 100 feet and attract surfers from around the world.
Nazare is also known for its traditional fishing culture, which is still evident in the town’s daily fish market, where locals sell fresh fish and seafood caught from the nearby waters. Visitors can also explore the town’s historic center, which features cobbled streets, traditional architecture, and several historic landmarks, such as the Nossa Senhora da Nazare Church, which dates back to the 14th century.
In addition to its natural and historic attractions, Nazare is also known for its excellent seafood and traditional Portuguese cuisine. There are several restaurants and cafes in the town that serve local specialties, such as grilled sardines and caldeirada, a fish stew.
Overall, Nazare is a charming and lively town that offers a mix of natural beauty, cultural heritage, and gastronomic delights, making it a great place to visit for those looking for a relaxed and authentic Portuguese experience.
What to see in Nazare
Nazaré is a beautiful seaside town in Portugal, known for its magnificent beaches and stunning cliffs. Some of the top attractions and things to see in Nazaré include:
- Praia do Norte: This is one of the most popular and well-known beaches in Nazaré, famous for its enormous waves that are popular among surfers.
- Forte de São Miguel Arcanjo: This historic fortress is located in the center of Nazaré and offers visitors stunning views of the town and the ocean.
- Miradouro do Suberco: This viewpoint offers breathtaking views of the beach and the sea. It’s a perfect place to watch the sunset.
- Santuario de Nossa Senhora da Nazaré: This beautiful church is located in the heart of Nazaré and is one of the most popular pilgrimage sites in Portugal.
- Fish Market: Located near the beach, the fish market is an excellent place to see the fresh catch of the day and to sample some of the local seafood.
- Museu Dr. Joaquim Manso: This museum offers a fascinating insight into the history and culture of Nazaré and is a must-visit for those interested in local history.
- Nazaré Lighthouse: Located at the top of the cliff, the lighthouse offers panoramic views of the town and the sea.
- Nazaré Canyon: This undersea canyon is located off the coast of Nazaré and is one of the deepest canyons in the world. It’s a popular destination for divers and oceanographers.
- Ermida da Memória: This beautiful chapel is located on a hill overlooking Nazaré and is a popular spot for hiking and picnicking.
- O Sitio: This is the historical center of Nazaré, located on a cliff above the town. It’s a beautiful area with stunning views, cobblestone streets, and colorful houses.
Where to eat in Nazare
Nazare is a coastal town in Portugal that is famous for its fresh seafood. There are many restaurants in Nazare that serve delicious seafood, as well as other Portuguese dishes. Here are a few popular options:
- A Tasquinha: This cozy and charming restaurant is located in the heart of Nazare and serves delicious traditional Portuguese dishes, including fresh seafood, grilled meats, and hearty stews.
- Marisqueira Mirante: This restaurant is known for its spectacular views of the ocean and serves some of the freshest seafood in town. The menu features a wide variety of seafood dishes, including grilled sardines, seafood stews, and grilled octopus.
- O Vicente: This historic restaurant has been serving traditional Portuguese cuisine since 1929. The menu features a wide variety of seafood dishes, as well as meat and vegetarian options.
- A Celeste: This family-run restaurant has been serving up delicious seafood for over 30 years. The menu features a wide variety of seafood dishes, including grilled fish, seafood stews, and shrimp dishes.
- Marisqueira Antonio Padeiro: This lively seafood restaurant is known for its delicious fresh seafood, generous portions, and friendly service. The menu features a wide variety of seafood dishes, including grilled fish, shellfish, and seafood stews.
Where to stay
Nazaré is a popular coastal town in central Portugal, known for its large waves and beautiful beaches. It offers a wide range of accommodations to suit different preferences and budgets, including hotels, apartments, guesthouses, and campsites. Here are some suggestions on where to stay in Nazaré:
- Hotel Miramar Sul – This modern hotel is located on a hillside overlooking the ocean, just a 10-minute walk from the beach. It features comfortable rooms, a spa, a restaurant, and a rooftop pool with stunning views.
- Hotel Mare – This family-friendly hotel is situated right on Nazaré Beach, offering easy access to the sand and surf. It has cosy rooms, a restaurant, and a terrace with panoramic views.
- Vale Paraíso Natur Park – This campsite and bungalow park is set in a pine forest just outside of Nazaré. It features a swimming pool, a playground, and plenty of space for outdoor activities. The bungalows come equipped with kitchens, making them a good option for families.
- Villas Mare Residence – This apartment complex is located in a quiet residential area just a short walk from the beach. The spacious apartments have kitchens, living areas, and balconies with ocean views.
- Casa da Padeira – This charming guesthouse is set in a restored 18th-century bakery in the historic centre of Nazaré. It offers cosy rooms with traditional decor and a shared kitchen and lounge.
There are many other options for accommodations in Nazaré, so you can choose the one that suits your needs and preferences best.
Tours from Nazare
Nazare is a popular tourist destination in Portugal, and there are several tours available from the town. Here are some of the tours you can take from Nazare:
- Nazare Sightseeing and Food Tour: This tour will take you on a walk through the streets of Nazare, where you can see the town’s historic sites and taste the local food.
- Obidos and Nazare Full-Day Tour: This tour will take you to the medieval town of Obidos, where you can explore the town’s narrow streets and visit the castle. The tour also includes a visit to Nazare, where you can see the town’s famous waves and enjoy the beach.
- Nazare Sunset Tour: This tour takes you to the top of the Sitio cliffs to watch the sunset over the Atlantic Ocean.
- Nazare Fishing Village Tour: This tour takes you on a walk through the town’s fishing village, where you can learn about the traditional fishing methods and taste the local seafood.
- Batalha, Alcobaça, and Nazare Full-Day Tour: This tour takes you to the historic towns of Batalha and Alcobaça, where you can visit the medieval monasteries and learn about the history of the region. The tour also includes a visit to Nazare.
- Nazare Wine Tour: This tour takes you to a local winery in the Nazare region, where you can learn about the local wine production and taste the wines.
These are just a few examples of the tours available from Nazare. You can also find many other tours that cater to different interests and preferences.
Nazare is a small town with a charming old town area, but it does not have many large shopping centres or malls. However, there are several small shops and markets where you can find souvenirs, clothing, and handicrafts.
One popular shopping spot is the traditional fish market, Mercado Municipal da Nazare, where you can buy fresh seafood and other local products. The town also has several shops selling typical Portuguese ceramics, handmade lace, and other local handicrafts.
Additionally, on the beachfront and in the surrounding streets, there are many small shops and stands selling beachwear, flip flops, and other beach accessories. And if you’re interested in surf gear, there are a few surf shops in town where you can purchase or rent equipment.
If you’re looking for more extensive shopping options, you may want to consider taking a day trip to nearby Leiria or Caldas da Rainha, which have larger shopping centres and malls.
Weather in Nazare
Nazaré has a Mediterranean climate with mild, rainy winters and warm, dry summers. The weather in Nazaré can vary throughout the year, but in general, the best time to visit for warm and sunny weather is from May to September. During this time, temperatures can range from 20°C to 30°C (68°F to 86°F) and the water temperature is usually comfortable for swimming.
It’s important to note that Nazaré is known for its big waves, which are most common during the winter months. If you’re interested in surfing, the best time to visit for waves is from November to February.
Holidays with kids
Nazare, Portugal is a great destination for families with kids. Here are some things to do in Nazare that are family-friendly:
- Spend the day at the beach: The long and wide sandy beach of Nazare is a great place for kids to run, play and swim.
- Take the funicular: The funicular connects the upper and lower parts of Nazare, and it’s a fun way to get around with kids. You can enjoy the beautiful views of the town and the beach from the funicular.
- Visit the lighthouse: The lighthouse is one of the iconic landmarks of Nazare, and it offers great views of the surrounding area. Kids will love climbing the spiral staircase to the top of the lighthouse.
- Visit the Nazare market: The market is a great place to explore with kids. You can find fresh produce, crafts, souvenirs, and local delicacies.
- Take a boat ride: There are many boat tours available in Nazare that are suitable for families with kids. You can explore the coastline, see the beautiful beaches and cliffs, and even spot dolphins.
- Explore the town: Nazare is a charming town with narrow streets, colourful houses, and traditional fishing boats. You can take a stroll around the town and discover its many hidden gems.
How to get to Nazare
Nazare is a popular coastal town located in central Portugal. Here are some options to get there:
- By car: You can drive to Nazare from Lisbon or Porto, which are the closest major cities. The drive from Lisbon takes around 1 hour and 30 minutes, while the drive from Porto takes around 2 hours and 30 minutes. There are also car rental options available at the airports in both cities.
- By train: There are frequent trains from Lisbon and Porto to Nazare. The journey takes around 2 hours from Lisbon and around 3 hours from Porto. The train station in Nazare is located close to the beach and the town centre.
- By bus: There are several bus companies that operate services from Lisbon and Porto to Nazare. The journey takes around 2 hours from Lisbon and around 3 hours from Porto. The bus station in Nazare is located close to the town centre.